The latest update for Wreckfest is now out, containing new content and a number of improvements. This one is more or less a maintenance update while we continue to work on major additions scheduled to be released at a later date, but nevertheless it contains some new cool content such as the short route variant for Tarmac 1 (yes, finally!) and more customization parts for cars as well as important usability and gameplay improvements. The technically-inclined among you can find the full changelist below but please take a look at the game yourself and enjoy!
In other news – and this is very important – we’re launching a new survey to gauge feedback before locking down everything for the final release of the game. These past years we’ve been working with you to shape the game into what it is now, and seeing as the game is nearing completion we want to use this opportunity to let us hear what you think of the game, how you play it and whether there’s anything we can do to make it the absolutely best possible banger racing and demolition derby experience to date. To do that, it’s crucial that we get YOUR feedback, so if you have five minutes to spare please do click on the shiny new main menu button to take you to the survey site and let us hear what you think of the game!
- AI now uses El Matador in Class B too.
- Added more customization parts for KillerBee, Tristar, Rammer, Gremlin.
- Added a new paintjob for the lawnmower, improved paintjobs for El Matador and Roadcutter.
- Added reverse routes for Mixed 5 Outer Loop and Mixed 5 Inner Loop.
- Added a short route for Tarmac 1, both forward and reverse layouts.
- Added and adjusted the start/finish lines for a number of tracks.
- Improved environment art on a number of tracks.
- Improved static cubemap locations on a number of tracks.
- Balanced texture luminance ranges on a number of assets.
- Fixed a particle system related crash.
- Implemented shaded particles (particles are now darker when in the shade).
- Implemented free camera smoothing.
- Added sharpening and vignette post-processing effects.
- In Dirt Speedway Figure 8 (possibly affecting other tracks as well), a wrong way indicator is no longer incorrectly displayed right after start.
- In Custom Event and MP, the game now tries to pick a unique paint job for the AI player if available.
- Grid start points are now created dynamically (work-in-progress, minor glitches possible especially in MP).
- MP: It’s now possible to disallow the use of special vehicles (lawnmower) on a server.
- Folk racing style start is now used on a number of tracks that support it (i.e. they have a dedicated start area).
- Improved lawnmower handling and gameplay.
- Adjusted reverse gear ratios so that they match between different vehicles.
- Contact timer is no longer used in deathmatch.
- Improved AI aggression: AI now employs increased situational awareness to decide when to ram another car. On Novice AI Difficulty, the AI is more aggressive towards each other and less towards the player, while on Expert AI Difficulty the AI is more aggressive towards the player and less against other AI players.
- In demolition derby, the AI is now less inclined to use reverse whenever the front of the car is damaged.
- In demolition derby, if only one or two AI players are left they no longer only circle around the player like idiots.
- AI now takes the loop in Crash Canyon only in one direction to prevent the traffic from piling up.
- Automatic reversing camera is now enabled by default in derby game modes.
- In HUD, reset prompt is now displayed automatically when driving into a wrong direction or out of track.
- In race game modes, reset is now only allowed when vehicle speed is 10 km/h or less to discourage exploiting.
- In Grass Arena, hay bales no longer appear weightless when hit.
- Adjusted a number of career series, especially in championships 3–5.
- The post-race rewards screen is now only shown if the player actually receives a reward, instead of every time.
- The post-race experience screen is no longer displayed if the player abandons the event.
- Weather no longer changes every time when restarting the event.
- A series is now considered (and marked) completed only if player receives points from it.
- Championship progress bar now only goes up until the unlock points for the new championship have been reached.
- In vehicle selection, ineligible vehicles are now grayed out so it’s easier to pick out an eligible vehicle.
- Vehicle stats (and therefore eligibility in a series) are now updated correctly after upgrading the vehicle.
- Relevant bonus targets (like spin, crash out, wreck a number of cars) now accumulate during multi-heat events.
- MP: In server browser it’s now shown whether the server is configured for normal or realistic damage.
- MP: In server browser, the list of servers is now only displayed after the data files have been verified.
- MP: In lobby, the maximum number of players is now displayed correctly.
- Added descriptions for all performance upgrades.
- Implemented a new pre-race screen.
- Implemented a new championship selection screen.
- A number of user-interface fixes and improvements.
- Added new engine audio for the lawnmower.
- Added new engine audio for Gremlin.
- Improved Speedeamon audio.
- Contact audio no longer keeps repeating when the vehicle is resting on its top or side.
- MP, while in lobby cars may occasionally appear falling under the scene when the track changes.
- MP,while in lobby spectating is glitched (no cars visible) if the race is not in progress.
- MP, after returning to the lobby the car may appear to be in flames if it was wrecked in the event before.
Thanks for all your support and have a great weekend (playing Wreckfest, we hope)!